Butter-Cream Baked Apples


 For a different treat for a Sunday Night, I decided to try this recipe from The 1996 Land O Lakes 75 Anniversary All Time Favorites cookbook. This is a paperback I picked up in the grocery store. Like every Land O Lakes cookbook I have used, all the recipes have turned out well and the instructions seem to be right on.
  The only problem I had with this, was that I had large apples and it calls for medium.
I think it would work better with the medium, I had to bake it about 6 minutes longer the first time, and the apple really filled a person up. Other than that I would recommend this as a different treat from the standard baked apple. 
  The sauce turns into a lovely caramel sauce from the oven heat. I had thought from reading the recipe that it would be more of a cream sauce. We all thought that a scoop of ice cream with the apple and the sauce on the ice cream and apple would be very good.
Butter-Cream Baked Apples
4 medium baking apples, cored, do not peel
½ cup sugar
¼ cup butter
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
½ cup whipping cream
Heat oven to 450°F. Place apples in 1 ½ or 2 quart round glass baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar; dot with butter. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, basting and turning twice, until apples are fork tender.
  Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and water; add to cream. Set aside.
Remove apples; stir in cream and cornstarch mixture. Return apples to pan. Continue baking for 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce thickens and bubbles. To serve, spoon sauce over warm apples. 4 Servings
  Nutrition Facts: (1 serving) Calories 390; Protein 1 g; Carbohydrate 49g; Fat 23g; Cholesterol 70 mg; Sodium 130mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.