Cheese Bread in the Food Processor


I have been making this recipe since I first saw it in 1991, when I purchased my first food processor.  It’s especially tasty as toast, but it’s also great for sandwiches, especially BLT's.  The fat content gives it a tender texture, and the food processor makes it very quick to make.  I often make this recipe for holiday gifts with a jar of homemade jam.  This size loaf can be made in a smaller Classic or DLC10 processor, as well as larger ones.  This loaf cost 20% more this year than as recently as 2009!
 With only 3 cups of flour, I use the steel blade.   I weigh the flour, cheese and milk powder right in the processor bowl with the blade in it, and then add the remaining ingredients.  A food processor takes such a short time to make bread, I use a stopwatch to time it.  I let my dough rise the first time right in the processor bowl; why wash another bowl?  To shape loaves, I roll out the dough into a rectangle, and fold it in thirds, like a letter for an envelope, then pinch the ends to seal.
The directions for this recipe call for Instant or Bread Machine or Rapid Rise yeast.  If you use plain active dry yeast, the rise times should double.                    
                     Cheese Bread
  1       Cup  Water – heat to 120°-125°
  2       Tablespoons  butter
  13 ½  Ounces  bread flour – 3 cups
  2        Teaspoons  sugar
  1        Teaspoon  salt
     1/3  Cup  Skim Dry Milk** - 1 ounce
  3         Ounces  Cheddar Cheese -- sharp, shredded (3/4 cup)
  2         Teaspoons  Instant Yeast -- 1 package
 Shred cheese with the shredding disk if needed.  Add dry ingredients to processor.  Add liquids, heated 120°-125°, slowly through feed tube, until dough cleans the sides of the bowl, about 45 seconds.  Mix for 1 minute after dough comes together.  Let rise 10 minutes, in processor bowl, in warm place. 
Make into loaf, place in greased 4 1/2 x 8 1/2“ pan.  Top with a sprayed piece of waxed paper.
Preheat oven to 375°.  Let rise in warm place 25 minutes or until 1" over the top of the pan.  Bake at 375° for 35 minutes.
**If you don’t use dry milk, use ¼ cup water and ¾ cup liquid milk for the liquids.
Cost per loaf: fall 2009 - $ 1.62
Cost per loaf:  Winter 2012 - $2.02
Per Serving: 132 Calories; 4g Fat (25.0% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 195mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
If you don't have a food processor, this recipe can be made on the dough cycle of a bread machine and then shaped for the last rise, or in your stand mixer or by hand, for that matter. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello from another Iowa food blogger! Love looking at your homemade breads - and never would have thought of using the food processor! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this tonight. I use a Kitchenaid food processor and it got stuck in my dough blade. I am new to using food processor. Have no idea what I did wrong. I thought it was ruined because dough seemed kinda sticky but it turned out great!!! Thanks so much. Will use again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. I tried tonight and turned out great. I did have trouble with dough being soft and sticking to dough blade (kitchenaid processor). I thought it was ruined but it was good. Will use again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      Glad it worked out for you...actually bread that is a tad sticky is never too heavy.
      When you only make one loaf in your food processor, you sometimes have better luck with the steel blade instead of the dough blade.
      I use a Kitchenaid too.
      We have lots of other food processor breads on the blog too...check them out.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.