Light Potato Salad

The Cuisinart leaflets have more than one recipe for potato salad. While this in not a favorite dish of mine, I do eat it once in awhile and Bettie and Lyle are fans of potato salad.  The salad contains neither oil or mayonnaise  which is a plus in my book.
  The directions were written for a food processor and while I have one, I do not use it a lot. I am going to give you the directions in the way I fixed it, and you can use your food processor if you would like to. We found this to be a light yet filling salad, and I will make it again. 
I did steam the potatoes, as that is how I usually fix them, I do think they do not get so soggy that way. However the recipe calls for them to be sliced and boiled. Either way works fine. This can be served warm or cold.
 Light Potato Salad
2 pounds small new potatoes
⅓ cup fresh cilantro leaves ( I used flat leafed parsley)
2 Tablespoons smooth mustard
3 Tablespoons grainy mustard
⅔ cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 Teaspoon coarse salt (Kosher salt works well)
½ Teaspoon ground black pepper
6 shallots (¾ ounce each) If you don’t have shallots use onion to taste

Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Slice and put in a large kettle and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; lower heat and cook until slices are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes depending on thickness. Drain potatoes and let cool slightly
 Chop cilantro until fine. Add mustards, sour cream, vinegar, salt and pepper. Combine well. 
  In medium bowl add minced shallots or onion, potatoes and the dressing mixture. Toss gently to coat. Salad may be made up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.