Whole Wheat Batter Bread


  Yes, there are still cold days and nights, and for supper tonight we had vegetable beef soup and home made Whole Wheat Batter Bread. The recipe for the bread is from the Farm Journal’s Timesaving Country Cookbook. I do not bake a lot of bread, but this recipe looked interesting and very simple. Batter breads do not have to be kneaded. I started it in the afternoon and it was done for supper. (still a little warm, yum)
  The verdict was that it was very good and well worth making again. It baked a little faster in my oven than the time given. Keep an eye on it about 5 to 10 minutes before the time is up. I did cover it lightly with foil to keep it from getting any browner.
Whole Wheat Batter Bread
1 package active dry yeast
1 ¼ cup warm (not hot, 110°) water
2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar (I used honey)
1 cup unsifted whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons soft shortening
  Sprinkle dry yeast over warm (110°) water in mixing bowl. Add honey, half the white flour, salt and shortening. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed, or 300 vigorous strokes by hand, scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently. Blend in remaining flours with spoon. (I used low speed on mixer).  
  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Stir batter down and spread it evenly in a greased loaf pan (8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ¾”). Smooth top of loaf with floured hands. Let rise until batter reaches ½” from top of pan, about 40 minutes.
  Bake in moderate oven (375°) 45 to 59 minutes or until brown. Remove from pan at once, brush top with butter and cool on rack before cutting. Do not place in draft to cool.  Makes one loaf.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it would be fun to try this recipe, as I have some white whole wheat flour that needs using up. And batter bread sounds so fast and easy.
    The second rise (in the pan) was off the charts; when I checked it at 40 it was at least 1.5 inches high and overflowing the sides of the pan. I poked everything back into place as best I could and baked it off.

    I kind of ruined the head of the bread with my poking/prodding, but it was still delicious! That's the wonderful thing about bread--any mistakes can be cloaked with butter and jam! I will surely make this recipe again. Perhaps next time I will try it with buttermilk and/or some herbs--just for fun and experimentation. I will definitely keep a closer eye on it during the second rise! :^)

    Thanks for yet another great recipe!
    Sie

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.