Old Fashioned Meat Loaf Gluten Free



  A recipe from the Gluten Free Made Simple cookbook that we all enjoyed was this meat loaf recipe. I found it amusing that one of the ingredients is for crushed Corn Chex®. I always have them on hand as they are a good gluten free cold cereal. Not all corn cereal is GF. However, most of the Chex cereals are. I just never thought of using them in a meat loaf. The rice made a nice addition also and both worked well, and we all enjoyed the meat loaf served with baked potatoes and a vegetable. You could vary the sauce on top which I will do occasionally to change the taste.
Old Fashioned Meat Loaf
⅔ cup Corn Chex®
1 ½ lbs. Ground beef
1 cup cooked white or brown rice
2 eggs
3 tablespoons GF ketchup (Heinz® Tomato Ketchup)
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
⅓ cup GF ketchup (Heinz® tomato ketchup)
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  Preheat oven to 350°. 
Place the Corn Chex® in a plastic bag and crush with rolling pin and set aside.
In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and add the crushed chex.
  Shape into two loaves and place on a rimmed baking sheet. (I used a 9 x 13 pan) Stir the ⅓ cup of ketchup and brown sugar together and spoon half on each meat loaf.
  Bake for 45 minutes at 350°.   Serves 6

4 comments:

  1. An, meatloaf - pure comfort food! And this is an interesting version that I am going to make this week while the weather is cooler. I love to freeze it in slices for easy dinners on busy nights. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than good meatloaf and this one looks great!! Our youngest son so loves meatloaf that he has requested it before for Christmas dinner!! Thanks for this classic update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boyfriend asks for me to make this meat loaf monthly, it's fabulous! This time I'm going to try and add spinach, I hope it turns out. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spinach sounds like an interesting change. Let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.