Onion Soup Mix


One of my pet peeves is keeping track of little packets of stuff in my cupboards.  Since I discovered shopping in the Amish groceries, where they sell even instant pudding mix and jello in bulk bags, I have been gradually eliminating those little boxes.  
One thing I hadn’t found is a good substitute for onion soup mix.  I have several good recipes I like that call for it – and when I want to make them it seems like I’m either out or can’t rustle them up in my pantry.  I can buy beef bouillon granules and dried onions as well as onion powder and celery seeds, so when I saw this recipe in "Make a Mix” I had to try it.  
I didn’t want to make little packets so much as have a recipe that I can mix up when I want it.  The Bon Appetit seasoning that the recipe called for went out of production in January of 2012, but the ingredients were mostly celery seeds, salt and sugar.  I didn’t think this needed any more salt, but I added a little sugar and celery seeds.  This whole thing smelled delicious, and I tried it in two favorite recipes, Beef in Red Wine Gravy and Braided Onion Bread.  It worked perfectly!  Now I just measure out the ingredients into a custard cup and throw it into the recipe instead of the mix.
This recipe cost 35¢ per packet compared to 79 ½ ¢ per purchased mix packets when all the ingredients were priced in smaller amounts at our local grocery, Fareway.  This recipe made about 1 ½ ounces, purchased onion soup mix weighs about 1 ounce per packet. The book suggests combining 2 tablespoons of mix with 1 cup sour cream for dip.
                           Onion Seasoning Mix
  4          teaspoons  Beef Bouillon Granules or dry base
  8          teaspoons  Dried Onion -- minced
  1           teaspoon  Onion Powder
    1/16      teaspoon  Celery Seed
    1/16      teaspoon  Sugar
Cut a 6" square of heavy duty foil  Place all ingredients in center of foil.  Fold foil to make an airtight package.  Makes 1 packet.
Label with date and contents.  Store in a cool, dry place; use within 6 months.
Per Serving: 62 Calories; 1g Fat (11.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 1362mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

2 comments:

  1. I have been so impressed with your make a mix recipes I sent off and now have the cook book too. I really like the idea of saving money and being well stocked as well as controlling the number of ingredients that I cannot pronounce on the label!
    I figure if I can't say it we shouldn't be eating it. One question I do have is this, Are their any recipes in the "mix" cookbook you refer to that you have not liked? I just hate to waste and disappointment. THANKS AGAIN. dkc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,
      Not yet...so far everything I've tried has been good. I especially like it for recipes for salad dressing and soup mixes - I don't like to keep those little packets on hand!
      Sue

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.