Cobre Valley Casserole


  The Taste of Home Casserole cookbook has some good casserole recipes. This one, is one I debated about making as neither Lyle or I are fond of Mexican food. Bettie however is, so thought I would try it.
  I must say that this might change my mind. All of us enjoyed it and it warmed up nicely for lunch the next day. 
  I used a can of chopped green chilies, and it could have stood a little more heat. The recipe calls for 2 cans of refried beans, and I used only one. Really this is plenty. Even if you like refried beans, I would try adding one can at a time and checking it before adding the second can. 
  I grated the cheese myself. The grated in the bags, has flour added so that it doesn’t stick together. 
Cobre Valley Casserole
YIELD: 6 - 8 servings  PREP: 15 minutes BAKE: 30 minutes
1 pound ground beef
1 medium chopped onion
1 celery rib chopped
1 envelope taco seasoning 
¼ cup water
2 cans (15 to 16 ounce each) refried beans
1- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions sliced
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
⅓ cup sliced ripe olives
1 -½ cups crushed tortilla chips
  In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning mix, water, beans and green chilies if using.
  Pour into a greased 2 ½ quart baking dish. Bake uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Top with cheese, green onions, tomato, olives and chips.
  I used the same pan to brown hamburger and heat in oven. One less dish to wash.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your tips on this one. Sounds good! We love Mexican food so will give it a try. I make my own taco seasoning as the packets are very high in sodium. I've been known to make my own refried beans when I don't have a can in the house. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.