Baked Macaroni and Cheese


I made Macaroni and Cheese tonight. As this is something I rarely fix, the recipe in the Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook was  helpful. They give you the step by step directions, with great illustrations to go with it. 
  If you are a beginning cook or just someone like me, who rarely makes a recipe of this type, this is a good cookbook to own. 
  Lyle and Bettie both thought it was very good, and I had enough left for lunches tomorrow or the next day. I did think it was a little more work than I would usually do for Mac and cheese, but then, I don’t like it. I will admit that if I am going to eat it, which I don’t anymore, the Kraft in the blue box with the orange cheese would be my choice.
  However, I am sure it is better for you and the way it got eaten, I think they must think it tastes better. Do not cook the macaroni too done, as you are going to put this in the oven, and it would be too mushy. Just till tender but still firm is what you want.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
2 quarts salted water
8 ounce package of Elbow Macaroni
4 tablespoons butter (divided)
¾ cup fresh bread crumbs
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
Pepper to taste
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  In 3 quart pan, heat to boiling water and 1 teaspoon salt. Add the macaroni; cook until tender but still firm, about 7 minutes; drain. Grease 2 quart baking dish, preheat oven to 350°
  In small pan melt 2 tablespoons butter, stir in the bread crumbs and toss to coat, set aside. While the macaroni is cooking, in a 2 quart saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in milk. Cook; stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Add the macaroni and stir gently. Pour into greased casserole, sprinkle with the butter crumbs and heat in 350° oven for 20 minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. In your little profile you say you only have three seniors at home....can you explain?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Pam. There is myself, my husband and a widow friend of ours who lives with us.
    Our daughter and grandchildren live in town but not with us.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.