Tomato Basil Soup


Tomato Basil Soup
  I had ordered Tomato Basil soup at Village Inn in Des Moines. It was quite good and I decided to see if I could come up with a recipe that was doable with my Celiac and Bettie’s newly diagnosed Diabetes. Since I should not have flour and of course she needs to watch the carbs, this is the result.
  I used a recipe from The Taste of Home Country Cooking and altered it for us. We felt that it was just as good or better that the restaurants soup. Since the fresh tomatoes are done till next year and the store tomatoes really did not look good, I used canned tomatoes. I did not want to puree hot soup so bought crushed tomatoes in puree, Worked great. Just the right texture and with a few pieces of tomatoes. I did put a little of the chicken broth with the cooked onion and garlic and pureed them in my small food processor. I think it would be just fine without doing that if you do not want to bother.
  We let it simmer for a half hour and thought it was excellent. You could cut that time shorter or leave it a little longer, stirring if you leave it on longer.
Tomato Basil Soup
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion chopped
1 clove garlic minced
½ teaspoon dried basil (4 fresh leaves)
½ teaspoon dried thyme (2 sprigs fresh) 
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes in puree (I used HyVee brand)
3 cups chicken broth (I used Kirkland Brand in the box)
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
¼ cup heavy cream adding at the end to help thicken the soup

  Cook the onion and garlic till soft in the oil and butter. If you wish puree or leave finely chopped. Add the can of tomatoes, the 3 cups of chicken broth. Add the herbs, sugar, salt and pepper. Taste and if you want add the tomato paste. (I use the paste in the tube, You can buy it in most grocery stores now.)
  Let this simmer for 15 to 30 minutes. Just before serving stir in ¼  to ½ cup of heavy cream. It takes the sharp edge off of the tomatoes and helps thicken it. Very good eating!
I am not sure of the calories, but there are 4 carbs in one cup of finished soup.

2 comments:

  1. Boy that sounds good. I'll be trying this. Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good soup weather isn't it. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.