Family Favorites.... Sweet Potato Pie


  Well, I have found another of those Do Not Do This At Home things. Last year I made a Sweet Potato pie for Bettie and her boss. They said it was good, but too much like a pumpkin pie.
  This year I decided to go to the source, who better than a southern cook for a Sweet Potato pie, and used a recipe from Southern Living’s “Our Best Recipes, volume 3”.
Needless to say, it was a royal pain to make, and I think I dirtied half of the baking dishes in my kitchen all for a pie no one else will eat. Of Course, Bettie say’s that it is just what she was looking for. Her boss hasn’t tried it yet. Maybe!!!, next year?
 Well, the verdict is in, everyone says that this is the right recipe. It will be awhile before I make another one.
However, for all you pie bakers out there here is the recipe. 
  I microwaved the potatoes about 10 minutes until soft enough to mash. Just about 2 pounds made the 2 cups of potatoes mashed. Let them cool before using after you mash them. I just used a fork to mash them up. The pie puffed up while it was baking and settled some when cooling, but not as much as I thought it might.
Sweet Potato Pie
2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
½ cup soft butter
2 eggs separated
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ ground nutmeg
½ cup milk
¼ cup sugar
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
Combine sweet potatoes, butter, egg yolks, brown sugar, salt and spices; blending until smooth.
Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add ¼ cup sugar, beating until stiff. Fold into sweet potato mixture. Pour filling into pie crust. Sprinkle with additional spices if desired. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 30 to 40 minutes more. When cool, garnish with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.