Sloppy Joe Turnovers

Rolling squares challenged!
  Saturday night supper and I wanted something easy to make. I thought I had the perfect recipe from the Pillsbury Best of Classic Cookbooks. Sue had given me some of her Mexican filling already made and frozen and I had a can of biscuits. Easy right!
  Well, we decided I am rolling pin challenged. I can roll circles, as I make lots of pie crust, but how do you get round biscuits into 4 inch squares? 
  Bettie and Lyle thought they were good, Bettie ate hers with some Salsa, so I will make them again, but the next time I am going to make the biscuits. Whether from scratch or from a baking mix I am sure they would be much easier to make. Roll the dough out into a square and cut your squares. I am posting the Pillsbury recipe as it is in the book, with a link to the Mexican filling. That way you can try either. If you have small children eating these, you might want the milder filling. 
  Either way, I hope yours look better than mine did!
Sloppy Joe Turnovers
½ pound lean ground beef
2 tablespoons chopped onion
¼ cup ketchup
2 tablespoons sour cream
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
1 (6 ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits
   Heat oven to 375°F. In large skillet, brown ground beef and onion until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain. Stir in ketchup, sour cream, salt and garlic powder. Simmer for 2 minutes.
  Separate dough into 5 biscuits. Press or roll out each biscuit to a 4 inch square. Put on cookie sheet. Place ⅛ to ¼ cup filling on half. Fold one corner over to make a triangle. Press edges together firmly. Cut 2 ½ inch slits in top of each. 
  Bake at 375° for 12 to 18 minutes or until brown.
Try using Frozen Mexican filling, your favorite sloppy joe filling, and your own biscuits for a change.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed when I read the caption under the picture. I don't think anyone would do it any better. To rephrase the old saying of square pegs and round holes: "You can't turn a round biscuit into a square turnover." They look very good and I'm sure I could easily make them vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look good... and frankly, I have ham to use up and we are trying to eat salads right now... so the previous recipe will get used, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.