Corn Cakes


The recipe for Buttermilk Corncake suggests
using them as bread in a sandwich of BBQ
pork or chicken. However, we wanted to eat them hot with syrup to go with sliced ham for supper. I did not put in the pepper the recipe calls for to eat them like this and I do not believe I would put pepper in for any other use. It makes 12 cakes and I have some left that we are going to try using for sandwich type eating. I did cool them on a wire rack before wrapping them so they won’t be soggy. With no flour they are gluten free always a plus in my book and we thought they were very good. Crispy and a good foil for the butter and syrup. Also simple and quick to make.
Buttermilk Corncake
2 cups cornmeal
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ cups buttermilk
2 eggs lightly beaten
4 tablespoons melted butter
Vegetable oil to fry them in.
 Blend dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients, Pour into cornmeal and stir just until combined. Batter will be thick. If too thick, thin with a little more buttermilk.
 Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. For each corncake, spoon ¼ cup batter onto hot skillet, and cook 3 minutes per side, or until brown. Makes 12

4 comments:

  1. Wow these sure look good! I am going to half the recipe and make them tonight to go with my crockpot chili. I have powdered buttermilk in my fridge that I can make buttermilk out of, and will skip the pepper also. Thanks for this dee-licious looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like them as much as we did. Sounds great with chili. It is cooler here today, so chili or soup sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these look really good... I am not sure if the grandkids would eat them, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do they like cornbread? They are somewhat that flavor. Of course we like fried cornmeal mush at our house.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.