Fine Cooking Potato Chip Cookies


Sweet and Salty
  This is almost the same recipe that Sue has posted for Potato Chip cookies though they came out quite different. I think the method of flattening them and finely chopping the pecans make a difference. Either way, this recipe from Fine Cooking Cookies or Sue’s recipe these are a great cookie and very few people will guess that there are potato chips in the cookies. A sweet and salty cookie at the same time.
  My only problem with the recipe is that it made way too small of a batch. Made them yesterday afternoon and this morning they are almost gone. Next time I will make more as they are so easy to make I just have to find a better flat bottom glass to use to flatten them. I didn’t realize that I did not have a flat bottomed glass anymore. I think we used to use jelly glasses.
Potato-Chip Cookies
½ lb. (1 cup) butter at room temperature (about 20 minutes to soften)
½ cup granulated sugar; more for shaping
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces (scant 2 cups) all purpose flour
2 ounces (i/2 cup) finely chopped pecans
½ cup finely crushed potato chips (try crushing in a ziplock bag with a rolling pin)
  Position oven rack in the middle of oven and heat to 350°. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
  Using a mixer on medium speed beat the butter and sugar till creamy and well blended, about 4 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat until blended. To bowl, on low speed add the flour, pecans and potato chips just until blended.
  Shape heaping teaspoons of dough into 1 inch balls (I used cookie scoop). Place about 2 inches apart on lined cookie sheets. Lightly butter the bottom of a flat bottomed glass, dip into granulated sugar and press cookie to about ⅛ to ¼ inch thick.  Bake at 350° for 10 to 11 minutes until edges are brown. Cool on pans for 5 minutes and then on wire rack. 
Yield: About 30 cookies
  To store, do not cover and to freeze, layer with wax paper between each layer of cookies
*TIP: Do not freeze or refrigerate the unbaked cookie dough or the potato chips will become soggy. 

4 comments:

  1. Myrna, this would be a great way to use up those little pieces of potato chips that are in the bottom of the bag when all the big pieces have been eaten. There are lots of things you can use to flatten the cookies with. I like to use the plunger from my Cuisinart. It makes a spiral design that's nice. You can also use a thread spool and get an interesting design. I bet when you look around in the kitchen and look at the bottoms of things you'll find all kinds of stuff that will work. I've been offline for awhile, it's good to be back. Hugs to you and Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilene, Good to hear from you again. I had not thought of a thread spool and I am sure you are right that I just need to look around,
    We do get stuck in a rut don't we, a jelly glass is what I always used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, we can no longer have potato chips in anything here... but it looks like such a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Ann, too much salt? That is sad, these are good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.