Taco Seasoning


 The last time I made tacos I stopped to read the ingredient list on the back of the taco seasoning mix package. I was startled to see the first ingredient listed was Maltodextrin, than cornstarch and sugar was the third ingredient listed. I had a recipe I had been wanting to try so as Bettie is diabetic and I have celiac, (no maltodextrin for me) I made this for our tacos. 
  Sue has a recipe listed also, this will give you a choice. The recipe makes enough for 1 pound of ground beef. I like the idea of just making enough to use at one time and it took about five minutes. The cost of a package at the store was a dollar and nine cents and this used spices I have on hand all the time, so I counted it as no cost or at the least just pennies to make.
  The next time I will add a little more crushed red pepper to the mix, just as we wanted it a little hotter. Note there is no cornstarch in this recipe, just spices.
Add about two to three tablespoons of water to browned and drained meat and heat for 3 minutes before serving.
  Taco Seasoning
For 1 pound of ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon oregano
Pinch crushed red pepper or to taste
Mix and use.

Here's another good recipe to use your taco seasoning:    Cobre Valley Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.