Chicken Rice Bake

I looked at this recipe from  "Everyday Light Meals "   because I wanted to use some peppers, and I always have the remaining ingredients on hand.   I also liked the idea that it didn’t include the traditional can of soup!
I cut it down for 2 people, and found that the rice portion made enough for 4 servings.  It was easy and delicious though, and we enjoyed the remaining rice mixture the next day, alongside some chicken sausages.   I am giving the recipe as shown in the cookbook, however.
I always store any extra red or green peppers and onions chopped up and in baggies in the freezer; I used some in this recipe – no chopping at the last minute!  I also did my browning in my skillet, and then covered it and baked the dish in the skillet right in the oven.  If I want to make the larger version, I would just make it in my largest covered skillet.  I have an aversion to too many pans to make what is supposed to be an easy dish.   The second time I made this, I cooked it on top of my range over low heat for the same time.  That makes two good ways to make it, depending on your kitchen situation.               

                            Chicken Rice Bake
  1 1/2      pounds  Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast -- 6 halves
  1             tablespoon  Salad Oil (I used half olive oil and half butter)
     3/4      cup  Red Pepper -- chopped
     3/4      cup  Green Pepper -- chopped
     1/2      cup  Onion -- chopped
     1/2      cup  Fresh Mushrooms -- chopped
  1             teaspoon  Garlic -- minced
  2             cups  Instant Brown Rice -- uncooked (or regular white rice)
  2             cups  Chicken Broth
  1 1/2      cups  Frozen Corn -- thawed
     1/4      teaspoon  Salt
     1/8      teaspoon  Pepper
     1/4      cup  Slivered Almonds -- toasted
  2             tablespoons  Parsley -- minced

In large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 4 minutes each side.  Remove and keep warm.
In same skillet, sauté peppers, onions, mushrooms and garlic until tender. Stir in the rice, broth, corn, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
Transfer to an 11 x 7 x 2" baking dish, greased or coated with cooking spray.  Top with chicken.
Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.  Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear.
Sprinkle with almonds and parsley to serve.
6 Servings
 

Per Serving): 408 Calories; 8g Fat (17.0% calories from fat); 34g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 436mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.