Browned Butter Nut Crispy Bars (Gluten Free)


 As a Celiac I need to eat sweets without gluten in them. This recipe for Rice Krispies bars from Cooking Light October 2013 is so good that everyone likes them. Most rice cereal bars are way to sweet for me. This recipe using browned butter and nuts is not overly sweet, not sticky, which most are and not too caloric. 
 The only problem I have found with them is that with the reduction in the amount of  butter and marshmallows, they are a little more difficult to get together. I end up buttering my hands and mixing them. This is a slight inconvenience for the taste and lighter bars.
 I usually cut them and package in snack size bags so that I can eat just one and not have the whole pan setting on the counter. I also cut them smaller and find that one is quite enough. 
 While the nuts are attractive on the top of the bars, they tend to fall off so now I mix them in with the cereal and marshmallows. You could omit them, but they add to the taste and crunch and nuts are good for you. I use pecans as that is what I have on hand, but about any nut would work.
 To make these GF you need to use GF crisp rice cereal. I use Kellogs GF Rice Krispies. We like the flavor better than any of the other brands I have tried. If you just want a good treat any crisp rice cereal will work.
 Browned Butter Nut Crispy Bars
YIELD: Serves 20
Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
10 ounces marshmallows
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla
6 cups rice cereal (we like the gluten free Rice Krispies)
Cooking spray or butter for pan
½ cup chopped toasted nuts
 Melt butter over medium-low heat, cook until melted butter is browned about 2 to 3 minutes. Add marshmallows; stir and cook until melted. Stir in salt and vanilla. Add cereal; toss well and press into a 13 x 9 inch sprayed or buttered pan. Sprinkle evenly with toasted nuts.
  • I find it easier to have the cereal in a large bowl and add the butter marshmallow mixture to the bowl. The wider container lets you mix them well.
  • Try stirring the nuts into the cereal instead of on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.