Fannie Farmer Ham Patties

This recipe is from my 1981 Fannie Farmer Cookbook.  It’s simple and delicious and a perfect way to use the not-so-pretty ends of your holiday ham.    I shaped mine into more, thinner patties, so they cook quickly…I froze the extra patties to thaw and cook another day.  I had a large slice of somewhat holey homemade bread I used for the crumbs; I whirled pieces of the bread in my mini-processor, then added the egg, cream and mustard, and poured it over the ham in the mixing bowl and combined lightly.  I pattied them in my hamburger press.  I have also made this with ham loaf mixture from the meat counter at our Fareway store, which is a combination of ham and ground fresh pork.
Our plate looks like Iowa – with mashed potatoes and creamed corn.  We enjoyed it with a cucumber salad and fruit for dessert.                 
Ham Patties
  2             Cups  Ham -- ground, cooked
  1             Large  Egg -- slightly beaten
     1/2      Cup  Bread Crumbs -- freshly made
  1             Tablespoon  Dry Mustard
  3             Tablespoons  Heavy Cream
  2             Tablespoons  Bacon Fat -- or lard or shortening
Mix the ham, egg, crumbs, mustard and cream until combined.  Shape the mixture into four-eight equal patties.  Melt the bacon fat or shortening in a large skillet and sauté the patties until well browned on each side.

The cookbook recommends serving with chilled cucumbers in sugar and vinegar dressing.

5 comments:

  1. Sue, you must've been looking over my shoulder while I was digging around in the freezer yesterday and wondering why in the world I bought such a big ham last Christmas and what I would do to use up the last of what I packed away. We just don't eat ham very well, and it's just the two of us. Hugs to you and Myrna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilene...hope you like them; we sure do.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of ham patties! I will so try this, can't wait, it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recipe today and enjoyed it. Thanks for the nice new recipe..... Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...it's hard to go wrong with the Fannie Farmer cookbooks...this is my go-to recipe for left-over ham. Glad to know you liked it too.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.