Family Favorites...Macaroni Tuna Salad


  Always on the lookout for new pasta salads, I tried this one from Southern Living 1982 Annual Recipes. I used canned tuna and we thought it was good, but any canned fish, salmon, or crab would be good also. Bettie thought chicken would be good, and if I had fresh salmon, I would try that. This is one of those recipes where you can change the ingredients, veggies, to use up what you have on hand. 
  The dressing was very good, and added to the taste. I had fresh parsley growing so used it though I think dried would have worked also. If you are looking for something a little different from the usual macaroni, salad dressing type, this is a good alternative.
Macaroni-Tuna Salad
8 ounces elbow macaroni
2  7 ounce cans white albacore tuna, drained (14 ozs.)
1 cup (4 ozs.) shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choice)
⅓ cup chopped green pepper
¼ cup chopped onion
¼ cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives (I also added some of Sue’s homemade Pimiento)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
¾ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
⅛ teaspoon pepper
  Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water and drain.
  Combine macaroni and next 6 ingredients in a large salad bowl; toss gently.
Combine remaining ingredients in a jar screwing lid on tightly. Shake until mixed or beat with wire whip until mixed. Pour over macaroni mixture; toss gently. Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I know a lot of people like pasta and tuna. I have never been able to get it past my lips. Don't know why I dislike the thought of the two together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little different combo. Maybe with crab or shrimp?

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.