In the Kitchen...Stockpots


Stockpots have replaced granite-ware enameled water bath canners in my kitchen these days, and I also use them for big batches of stock or for blanching fruit or vegetables or soaking and draining dried beans and the like. 
I have 2 now, a 12 quart Tramontina stockpot from Walmart that I use primarily as a water-bath canner, and an 8 quart stockpot with a strainer insert that I simply love for blanching everything from peaches and tomatoes so I can slip skins, to blanching green beans and other vegetables, as well as making small pots of stock where I can simply strain out the bones and vegetables easily.  
Neither pot was terribly expensive, but I like the stainless steel for its cleanup properties, as well as the tri-ply bottoms that are heavy and also smooth enough for my glass-top range.  If I was looking for a new pot, I would definitely choose the handle over the knob on the lid as it doesn’t spin around and stays attached better.   I also like the silicone cover on the handles on the newer models.   If you water-bath quart jars, you will need at least a 20 quart stockpot for the height.
I do like the glass lids, as I can see if the water is over the jars or food.  I have purchased pressure cooker trivets that fit into the stockpots for canning…I do occasionally use the 8 quart pot when I can a few half pints, as it doesn’t take as much water to heat up.  Round cake racks of the right size will also work for canning.
I store the stock pots with my canners, in a shelved cabinet with doors outside my kitchen area.
Even if I gave up canning, I would keep the 8 quart pot with the strainers for their versatility around the kitchen.
Some recipes for your stockpots...remember the stock recipes can be frozen or canned.
Home Canned Soup Vegetables

1 comment:

  1. I've never wanted a pasta strainer before; but I am now realizing that it would simplify stock-making so much to be able to lift out the bones. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.