Home Canned Soup Vegetables


  I use the vegetable canning guidelines in the Ball Blue Book to can this soup vegetable combination that we like.  I use what garden vegetables I have, and purchase the rest.   I can this in 12 ounce jars because that’s the right amount for 2, but you can use pints for the same time.  I always have this in my home canned inventory.  The canning time is for the longest-processed vegetable in the combination.
Because I can the vegetables separately from the meat, I don’t have to process them as long, giving a better product; I can have more variety of choices to make with it, and I can do this when I have the vegetables – I usually can meat and poultry in the winter when I have more time and the kitchen isn’t so hot and I’m not under pressure from the garden.       
                      Home Canned Soup Vegetables
  1 ¾       Pounds  Carrots -- sliced 1/3-inch thick
     ¾       Pound  Green Beans -- cut   - optional
  1           Pound  Onion -- quartered if small
  1           Pound  Celery -- sliced
     ¼       cup  Parsley -- minced-- optional
  2          tablespoons  Salt -- optional
  1          tablespoon  Pepper -- optional
  1 ½      Quarts  Chicken Stock -- or hot water
  
 Directions:
1. Bring water to a boil in 6 quart stock pot with insert.  Prepare lids according to manufacturers instructions.  Heat water in canner.
2. Heat broth. (I often use the microwave for this.)
3. Combine vegetables and add to stock pot.  Simmer 5 minutes.
4. Spoon hot vegetables and then pour broth into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace.  Remove bubbles.  Add parsley to each jar if desired.
5. Adjust two-piece caps.
6. Process  30 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a pressure canner.

About 4 1/2# total vegetables and 1 1/2 quart stock are needed. 

Use with canned poultry, meat or beans and rice, barley or noodles for soups.  About 1/2 pint canned meat, poultry or beans with broth and 3 tbsp. dry barley or rice or 1 oz. thin noodles, plus another cup of broth or tomatoes  makes 2 servings of soup.
Thicken the broth and add potatoes instead for stew.

Yield:  "Ten 12 Ounce Jars"
This recipe will make about 8 pint jars. 

2012 Cost:  $4.77 per recipe or 48¢ per 12 ounce jar with all purchased ingredients.  Do as I do, and use up those garden vegetables instead.

Per Jar:  77 Calories; trace Fat (5.0% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 2631mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the super basic (but easily overlooked) recipe. I'm not at the spot I can grow my standard, insane garden but I shop sales a lot. I have a huge slow cooker full of cooked veggies in the refrigerator and I'll can them up for soups tomorrow. Thanks again, you're a lifesaver!
    LOVE the site, just added you to my RSS and am about to do FB.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.