Corn and Ham Soup


Myrna likes a cream soup that’s not thick and “gloppy”, and she needs one that’s gluten-free.  This recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, "Practical Produce", fills the bill!  I had cream on hand, and the rest of the ingredients too…home canned chicken broth, and good diced ham from those not-so-pretty slices near the end of a ham, and green peppers and onion, already chopped, all in the freezer, along with corn – I didn’t even thaw them before cooking.
I served it with some focaccia I also had in the freezer, warmed 15 seconds in the microwave, and in the time it took my husband to make a nice salad, using homemade salad dressing that lasts several days, we had a homemade lunch! 

Corn and Ham Soup
  6             cups  Chicken Broth
  2             cups  Corn
  1             cup  Ham -- diced
     1/3      cup  Onion -- chopped
     1/3      cup  Green Pepper -- chopped
  1             cup  Cream
Combine all but cream.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.  Stir in cream and heat through.
6-8 Servings

2 comments:

  1. This the kind of cream soup I like, not thick and very tasty. I made it with bacon the last time as I was out of ham, good that way also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of good ingredients in the soup. I don't care if they are thick or thin. As long as they taste good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.