Family Favorites...Ham and Hominy Salad

My husband says his Mom served hominy when he was a kid, and he likes it.  I liked the looks of this salad, with a dressing much like the ones on hot German potato salad.  It was very speedy to make on a hot, muggy day, and we enjoyed it with some nut bread and fresh fruit for dessert for a light lunch.    
I tried 1/3 cup water the second time we made it, and I liked the dressing a little better.  When you open a can of hominy, it doesn’t look like enough for 4 main dish servings, but with the remaining ingredients, it was enough.  We will have this more often if my husband has his way – it’s a very old-timey dish that we both liked.                
Ham and Hominy Salad
  1               Medium  Onion -- chopped
  1               Tablespoon  Butter
  1               Tablespoon  Flour, All-purpose
     1/2        Cup  Water -- (maybe 1/3 cup)
     1/4        Cup  Cider Vinegar
     1/4        Cup  Sugar
     1/4        Teaspoon  Salt
     1/8        Teaspoon  Pepper
  15 1/2      Ounces  Hominy -- rinsed and drained
  1               Cup  Ham -- cubed
     1/2        Cup  Celery -- chopped
     1/2        Cup  Green Pepper -- chopped
In a 10" skillet, sauté onion in the butter until tender.  Stir in the flour, cook over medium heat 1 minute.  Combine the water, vinegar and sugar and stir into the onion mixture.  Bring to a boil and cook and stir 2 minutes more.  Remove from the heat and add the hominy.  Let stand 5 minutes to let dressing soak into the hominy.   Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Serve warm or cold.
4 main dish servings
Per Serving: 242 Calories; 8g Fat (27.7% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 853mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Adapted from Taste of Home Country Extra 2004

8 comments:

  1. What a great recipe. Love hominy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever eaten hominy.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this recipe - I have everything need to make it and will be doing that as soon as I finish outside work in the garden. I wanted to pack a picnic dinner to take with us on a drive in the mountains this evening. This salad will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad there are some other folks out there who like hominy...guess you have to have lived in the South, or at least as far south as Southern Iowa, as my husband and I have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we have not lived in the South. My husband's mother fixed hominy as a side at some meals when he was a child. I asked him what she did with it and he said she just heated it. I would not have liked it that way much! When his folks were snowbirds, living part time in Arizona, his mom made Posole and shared her recipe. That was my first encounter with hominy.

      Delete
    2. Yum...we make and eat posole too!

      Delete
  5. Hi Sue...I love hominy but have only had it hot. My mother would fry pieces of bread in butter add the drained hominy then a little milk till thick. She would also cook it with scrambled eggsm I will have to tdy this salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good...we just eat it buttered as a hot side dish like potatoes too.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.