Dogs in a Blanket


I think most folks have made a version of this recipe at least once. It is really quite common in the MidWest as Pillsbury is a Minnesota based company. I made these when they first came out with the recipe using their then new tubes of Crescent rolls. I had made something similar using Bisquick but every one in my family really likes the crescent rolls. I can now buy them with just 4 in the tube so that is usually what I do.
I eat mine with out the roll, just insert the cheese and add to the pan the last few minutes to heat and melt cheese. So for the kids in your family and for you to remember when you were a kid here is the recipe from the Pillsbury web site.

Crescent Dogs
4 slices (3/4 oz each) American cheese, each cut into 6 strips
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
8 hot dogs or brats

Steps

Heat oven to 375°F. Slit hot dogs to within 1/2 inch of ends; insert 3 strips of cheese into each slit. 

Separate dough into triangles. Wrap dough triangle around each hot dog. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, cheese side up. 

Bake at 375°F. for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

6 comments:

  1. I use to make the little pig in a blankets and bacon to take to my husband and the old fart's (his beagle hunting buddy's). There would be a stampede when I showed up with them.

    Happy Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently found the full size Little Smokies like the ones we bought as teenagers. Fixed them with bacon wrapped around and cheese inserted. Still good. Much easier with the full size ones instead of the little ones.

      Delete
  2. I ate these a few times growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty popular for a few years back than. Easy for Moms to fix and teens to eat.

      Delete
  3. My husband still makes the "Lil' Smokies" mini version for apps at family gatherings. Everyone makes fun, but darned if they don't disappear every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to happen here also. However no one ever admits to eating them. LOL

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.