In the Kitchen...Pasta Making Equipment

If you want to make fresh pasta, you don’t really need many tools at all.  I can make good homemade noodles using nothing more than my usual bread-baking set-up; a cutting board or mat, flour in a shaker, a rolling pin, and a knife.  I roll them out, let them rest, cut them and let them dry right on the board.  I usually use a bowl to mix my dough, but many mix their dough right on the board too.  I often use my small food processor to make very small amounts of dough for homemade noodles, and roll them out by hand.
I also mix dough for larger sessions in my Kitchenaid and use my roller-cutter set to prepare them.  Very handy, as I don’t have to knead by hand, and I can use both hands to feed the dough through the roller-cutters.  A good hand-cranked roller-cutter machine is the choice of folks who don’t want to invest in a mixer.  They also have motorized attachments.  The roller-cutters usually come with a small stiff brush for cleaning them.
Clockwise: top left: Pasta bike, pasta stamps, colander, flour shaker, pastry board, pasta fork/spoon combo
Some other useful tools are a good board; I like my reversible one with a lip on the front and back so it stays in place on the edge of the counter, and the Danesco mat, that allows both rolling and cutting.  Bonnie’s mom rolled out her homemade noodles on newspaper, and then she had minimal cleanup – however, that was before current inks, which come off on your dough.  Parchment might do the same job, I haven’t tried it.  A pastry board like mine is a lifetime investment...like Myrna, I never allow it to be used for anything but bread, pasta and pastry.
I like this Tovolo colander, it’s small holes mean I don’t watch my spaghetti go right down the drain!  Myrna likes a pasta fork/spoon/server like this one; I use a good tongs.  And I would be lost without a good flour shaker.  The shaker has a plastic top cover so I keep it on my counter all the time for baking, a smaller one-handed flour sifter works too.  
I like the "pasta bike" for cutting wider noodles, it is adjustable, and works for crackers too; the one I have doesn't appear to be available any more.  In the larger picture, I am making filled ravioli, and I am using a fluted cutter that matches the ravioli stamp for sealing the dough. There are a variety of pasta stamps, etc. available, this one is a nice, basic size; I also have a square one. 
clockwise; top left:  on tray ready for freezing before bagging, purchased racks (they disassemble quickly for storage),  drying shorter cuts on a towel on a sheet pan, another purchased rack, my clothes drying rack for big batches for the freezer, drying cut fettuccine
You do need some way to dry your pasta; fresh pasta needs to dry some before going through the cutters or even using the pasta bike.  You can dry on towel-lined trays, parchment lined trays, on an assortment of purchased dryers, or, as I often do, on one of my clothes-drying racks.  I find that the trays and clothes rack work best for me, the big rack doesn’t need table or counter space, and puts them at the right height to grab and run through the rollers.  I do put some newspaper under the rack to catch any flour and scraps for easy cleanup.
Fresh Pasta is a pleasure to make - I try to always have some in the freezer.

Basic Egg Pasta Recipe

Homemade Lard Noodles

4 comments:

  1. lol.......I have a pasta roller, but it is only used for polymer clay :)
    I've always wanted to make dough (pasta and bread). Just never devoted any time or effort into the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's similar to making pie crust, but the dough takes plenty of handling, not so fragile and much easier.
      Lots of people make homemade noodles around here, they are often served at dinners and potlucks.
      My sister-in-law and I made and cooked a large dishpan full of chicken and noodles for one family dinner and they were all eaten, served over mashed potatoes Midwest style.
      It may be because of the numbers of Mennonite and Amish families, or just a midwestern thing.
      Nowadays you can buy frozen homemade noodles, Reames is one brand that was started in Clive, Iowa 60 years ago!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue..my mother made homemade noodles for every get together. She rolled them out by hand. When she died I inherited the job. First thing I bought was a pasta roller. I also got a tinker toy like rack for drying them but have lately used floured tea towels in the oven. The noodles really elevate a meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the oven, smart idea! What temperature and time do you use?

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.