Deutsche Rote Rüben

This is a delicious recipe for preparing beets from the little cookbook “The Art of Hermann German Cooking", a fund-raising cookbook from the German settlement of Hermann, Missouri.  I remembered similar recipes from our childhood church dinners and potlucks, and thought we might like it as a change from Harvard Beets or simple, but delicious buttered beets.
The advantage to dishes like this is that you don’t waste the liquid from the beets, and it doesn’t run all over your plate.  I don’t know if this is how this dish is prepared in Germany, but the contributor used the German name for her recipe, and I suspect it was handed down in her family.
Deutsche Rote Rüben
  2         cups  cooked or canned beets
  1         tablespoon  butter
  1         tablespoon  flour
  2         teaspoons  minced onion
  1         cup  hot water – (Use beet liquid plus water if needed)
  1         tablespoon  sugar
  1-2      tablespoons  vinegar
     1/4   teaspoon  salt

Sauté onion in melted butter until yellow.  Blend in flour, add beet liquid and water and cook and stir until smooth and thickened.  Add seasoning and beets.  Heat thoroughly.

3 comments:

  1. Beets are such a pretty color. I must have never had them cooked where they taste good.
    Because I've never been able to eat the ones I tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to laugh as I am not a veggie eater at all, and beets are one of the few that I do like. As Sue would tell you I only like raw veggies swiped out of the garden eaten on the spot. I do think they are one of the things you either like (beets) or don't like.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yum! I LOVE BEETS! Pickled or cooked with butter. Yum, Yum, Yum! I love the smell of them cooking, too!

    Have you tried the other colored beets? I keep looking at them in the store & wondering.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.