In The Kitchen Electric Mixers

The center mixer is like the first mixer I owned I now have the two on the left and yes mine is black..Sue has the two like the ones on the right
 Both of us own and use stand mixers. I guess I can’t think of my kitchen without one though I can remember when our Mother got her first one, she had so much fun with it and we sure ate a lot of cake and whipped cream for awhile. 
 My first mixer was a Sunbeam which in a lot of ways I like better than the nice Kitchen Aid I own now. The mixer came with two sizes of bowls and the bowl turned rather than the beater. It did not have as much power but as I rarely do bread dough in mine I could get along without that much power. It also had a detachable head so I could take it to the stove and use it as a hand held mixer without having to own two separate mixers. In a lot of ways updating something is not always making it better.
 The first mixer with a electric motor is thought to be the one invented by American Rufus Eastman in 1885. The Hobart Manufacturing Company was an early manufacturer of large commercial mixers, and they say a new model introduced in 1914 played a key role in the mixer part of their business. The Hobart Kitchen Aid and Sunbeam Mixmaster (first produced 1910) were two very early US brands of electric mixer. Domestic electric mixers were rarely used before the 1920s, when they were adopted more widely for home use.
 In 1908 Herbert Johnson, an engineer for the Hobart Manufacturing Company, invented an electric standing mixer. His inspiration came from observing a baker mixing bread dough with a metal spoon; soon he was toying with a mechanical counterpart. By 1915, his 20 gallon (80 l) mixer was standard equipment for most large bakeries. In 1919, Hobart introduced the Kitchen Aid Food Preparer (stand mixer) for the home. Many restaurants and bakeries use Hobart large stand mixers.
Older models of mixers originally listed each speed by name of operation (Beat-Whip would be high speed if it is a 3-speed mixer); they are now listed by number.

 If you are not going to be doing a lot of heavy mixing you could most likely get by with a hand held mixer though I sure would hate to give up my stand mixer.

Try these recipes:

Classic Yellow Cake

Whipped Cream Cake

Hawaiian Sweet Bread 

Cornmeal Yeast Bread

Buttermilk Pie

Meringue for Pie

Amaretti

Freezer Meat Balls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.