In The Kitchen... Bundt Pans


 Ah yes, bundt pans, one of those pans you either love or hate. They can be very hard to get a cake cleanly out of and the newer more complicated pattern ones are even harder than the earlier models. 
I have two larger pans and two of the smaller, six to a pan, sizes. I tend to use my original pan, red one in photo above, that I purchased after the Tunnel of Fudge cake became so popular and I bought it at the Nordic Ware Outlet Store in St Louis Park, Minnesota. Our Aunt lived very close to it and we would go there when ever I was in the Twin Cities. A bakers dream store. As a outlet store the prices were so good and as a baker this store was so tempting.
  In the late 1940s Nordic Ware designed a cast aluminum version which Nordic Ware then made a small production run of in 1950. In order to successfully trademark the pans, a "t" was added to the word "Bund". A number of the original Bundt pans now reside in the Smithsonian collection. Initially, the Bundt pan sold so poorly that Nordic Ware considered discontinuing it. The product received a boost when it was mentioned in the New Good Housekeeping Cookbook in 1963 but did not gain real popularity until 1966, when a Bundt cake called the "Tunnel of Fudge", baked by Ella Helfrich, took second place at the annual Pillsbury Bake-Off and won its baker $5,000. The resulting publicity resulted in more than 200,000 requests to Pillsbury for Bundt pans and soon led to the Bundt pan surpassing the tin Jello mold as the most-sold pan in the United States. In the 1970s Pillsbury licensed the name Bundt from Nordic Ware and for a while sold a range of Bundt cake mixes.
To date more than 60 million Bundt pans have been sold by Nordic Ware across North America. Nordic Ware is based in St Louis Park Minnesota and produces a line of quality bakeware.
 There are other companies now making Bundt pans and many different shapes. Keep in mind that you have to get that cake out of the pan when it is baked so they need to be well greased and floured. Most recipes say not to use spray on coatings.  Try this homemade pan release for good success, or grease with shortening very well and flour.

Here are just a few of the Bundt recipes on the blog:

Amish Fruit Cake

Praline Mini Bundt Cakes

Poppyseed Tea Bread

Washington Apple Cake

Chocolate Almond Pound Cake









6 comments:

  1. I love all my bundt pans. I have 4 of the large, regular pans, a pan that will make 6 small bundt cakes & recently I bought myself a 20 cavity mini bundt pan to where I can make several all at one time. Really comes in handy when making individual cakes for a family gathering. One drawback on the 20 cavity mini one; it's to big for my kitchen sink, so for easier washing, I wash it in the bath tub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize they made a 20 pan. I think that would be really, really nice for a crowd. Do you usually glaze or frost them, that size you could just dip in the glaze. I would not have though of the bath tub. Great idea.

      Delete
    2. I have done all 3; glaze, frost and dip which all depends on flavor of cake I make

      Delete
  2. I have a bunch of these. And, a lot of other cookware. I need to clean out the cabinets and cull a lot of them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Culling out cookware is hard to do, who knows when when you might need it. 🥣

      Delete
    2. I agree! Hard to part with things that serve you well, even if infrequently.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.