Cucumber Salad

This is absolutely my favorite way to serve cucumbers. Today I used champagne vinegar as I need to use some up, and you can also use cider vinegar.
 I make it when I have peppers and cucumbers from the garden or the Farmer’s Market. 
It’s great with almost anything from the grill or to complement a main dish or sandwich. It keeps several days in the refrigerator and improves in taste, so it’s a good make-ahead and brightens up any family or company meal, and can be multiplied for picnics and pot-lucks.
Cucumber Salad
1 Pound Cucumbers -- peeled and thinly sliced
1  Celery Stalk -- thinly sliced
1/2  Green Bell Pepper -- thinly sliced
1/2  Red Bell Pepper -- thinly sliced
1/2 Medium Red Onion -- thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon Salt
6 Tablespoons Sugar
6 Tablespoons White Vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon Celery Seed
1/4 Teaspoon Mustard Seed
  • Layer vegetables with salt in glass bowl; let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Drain and rinse off salt thoroughly.
  • Meanwhile bring sugar and next ingredients to a boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until sugar is dissolved. Let stand 1 hour. Pour evenly over vegetables. Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight. Serves 6

4 comments:

  1. Love cucumber salad but never even thought of putting strips of bell pepper in mine. Thank you. Will try the bell pepper next time I make.
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a cucumber salad and took it to a dance event. One of the older fellows chased me down and asked me how I made them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cucumber salad reminds me so much of summertime on my grandparents' farm. They raised pickle cucumbers and sold them to Gedney. Adding peppers has never occurred to me either. Thanks for the recipe. It's on my list to try as soon as cucumbers are available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise...folks around where we were raised in Minnesota raise cucumbers for Gedney too.
      We love cucumbers like I think most midwesterners do.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.