Golden Caramel Syrup


I looked at this recipe in the Sophie Leavitt PennyPincher’s Cookbook and thought it looked interesting…that’s all.  Until I opened my brown sugar canister and found the brown sugar was completely dry and hard.  Then I got out my book and decided it was worth trying to see if I could save that sugar.   She recommended putting it in a squeeze bottle to put the syrup on the pancakes, French toast or waffles, not on the plate.  
She only cooked hers 10 minutes, but my husband likes a thicker syrup, and 30-45 minutes is better for us.  It’s darker than purchased Golden Syrup, because of the brown sugar.  I just let it cook while I was doing other things around the kitchen.
You don’t need to wait until you have hard brown sugar to make this!  My husband loved it and I liked it too.   I gave some to Myrna and she used it to bake an apple and raved about it!  
Whole Wheat French Toast with Golden Caramel Syrup  
                   
                              Golden Caramel Syrup
About 1 cup of syrup: 
6             ounces  brown sugar (1 cup) packed
  1           cups  water
Combine sugar and water in small saucepan.
Turn heat to medium low or low and cook about 30-45 minutes to form liquid syrup.  It should be at a slow simmer.  Stir occasionally.  It will thicken in the refrigerator.  After cooking store in fridge.
Makes about 3/4 to 1 cup.

To use 1 pound of brown sugar:                               
  16         ounces  brown sugar
  2 2/3    cups  water
Follow directions above.

4 comments:

  1. It says 6oz and then 1cup. not the same, 8oz in a cup. which?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 8 FLUID ounces in a cup liquid measure, but brown sugar packed in a cup weighs about 6 ounces. Weighing solid or sticky ingredients is an easy way to measure right into the pan or bowl.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.