Fall Canning 2019

L-R:  Split Peas, Red Lentils, Kidney Beans, Black Beans, Great Northern Beans. 
In preparation for defrosting my free-standing upright freezer before winter, I spent a few days canning.  I had several nice, large smoked ham shanks I had bought on sale and some salt pork and ground beef that would reduce the amount of food I would have to find a place for while defrosting the freezer.
I canned one recipe a day; and left my canner, stockpots, jars and lids, etc. in my kitchen until my canning was completed.  I keep my canners, jars, stock pots, etc. in a cupboard in my warm attached garage right next to the kitchen door when not in use.
I had everything except fresh vegetables (onions, celery, carrots) for these recipes in my freezer or pantry stock.  I purchase bulk dry beans, lentils and split peas at the Dutchman’s in Cantril, Iowa, a Mennonite store serving the Amish and Mennonites in that area.  They are superior quality and the price is right.  I do repackage them from plastic bags to half-gallon Mason jars for long-term storage. 
Here’s what I canned:




6 comments:

  1. I do like to go to Amish Country and the Bulk store. Like to stock up on spices and such. They look so pretty in the Mason Jars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had bean & ham soup using the recipe the way my mom always made it.
    I just may have to break down and buy me a pressure cooker so that I'm able to can the bean & ham soup.
    Thanks 4 sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've been very productuve. I can almost imagine how good your house smells. I wish I canned. How helpful it would be to have these jars waiting on the pantry shelf. I too have a pantry cupboard in the garage next to the door leading into the house and find it very handy. Our tea kettle came from Dutchman's. It's an amazing store. I love the many ways your blog reminds me of home. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look so good. I'm going to try the ham and bean this week. Wish I had a place like that for my canning supplies. Have a blessed day. Sherry https://withinmyfence.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good for the cold coming in and more cold to come! Love the ham and beans. My husband is not a bean fan been trying to convert him for years.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.