Baking with Cornmeal and Oatmeal



Oatmeal and cornmeal; cheap, readily available and in any serious cook’s kitchen, are great for baking.  Besides the obvious corn breads, you can bake both cornmeal and oatmeal into everything from muffins and quick breads like scones, loaves and biscuits to pancakes, waffles, cookies, desserts and cakes.  Some of my favorite yeast bread recipes have either cornmeal or oatmeal for nutritional value, appearance and interest.
Medium- and fine-grain cornmeals are most often used in baking, because they produce a lighter texture.  I use either old-fashioned rolled oats or quick rolled oats depending on the recipe.
I’m not particular about brands; I buy mine in bulk from the Dutchman’s Store in Cantril, Iowa.  They are usually H&R or hotel and restaurant brands there.  Quaker, of course, is a commonly available brand name.  Martha White, Aunt Jemima, Bob's Red Mill, Shawnee Best are also available depending on where you live.
Here are the downloadable free cookbooks pictured above to help you use these cereals in your baking!
.  

*PDF's are courtesy of Michigan State University Library's Little Cookbook Collection

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting these cookbooks but I can't access 'The Flavor of American Tradition'. Bake it better with quaker oats comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great links. We just got a bag of grits and need more ways to cook them. Please note - the link you associated with the corn meal grits recipe is an oatmeal cookbook. Hope you can remedy this. I will check back to see if you have replaced it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the link is fixed...thanks both of you for pointing this out!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for fixing the link. I ready to try some new recipes with grits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to try the Crunchy Salad Biscuits on page 21 with grits. My husband and I are grits fans after living in Texas and Georgia. Glad the link works now.

      Delete
  4. Can only get The Flavor book to open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try them now...the cookbook website has been updated and the links changed.
      I think it will work for you now. Click on "View item" under the photo when you get to the cookbook site.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.