Saturday Bread Baking...


Saturday was baking day, I needed three loaves of bread this week.  I made my husband’s absolute favorite, two loaves of Honey Whole Wheat Bread and a loaf of one of my favorites, Grape nuts Quick Bread.  It's nice to know I don't have to worry about empty shelves in the bread aisle.  
The recipes bake at the same oven temperature, so after I got my wheat bread in the oven, I started making the Grape nuts bread.  It’s very simple to make, but the milk is scalded and the Grape nuts soak in the milk until the milk gets cool enough to finish the rest of the recipe.  That gave me time to prepare my loaf pan, sift my dry ingredients, and beat the egg.  By the time the wheat bread was baked, I was ready to quickly stir my ingredients together, spread the batter in the pan and bake the quick bread right after the yeast bread.  Saves time and electricity by not preheating the oven twice.    
I keep the ingredients for both of these recipes on hand all the time, as we eat Grape nuts on top of our oatmeal most days for breakfast, and I always have flour, baking powder, salt, yeast, lard and butter, sugar and honey, etc. in the pantry or freezer.  
We slice our bread on our electric slicer…so easy and perfect slices.
Here are the links to the recipes and slicer review:

1 comment:

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.