Saturday Thoughts...Spam! or Canned Luncheon Meat


When I thought about writing this post, I wasn’t thinking about cooking during a pandemic.  But it’s been the new reality…and I wondered if there were folks who purchased Spam or canned luncheon meat in a panic who didn’t know what to do with it?  I always keep some on hand because we have to travel 30 minutes or more to get to an Aldi’s and so we only go about every 3 months.  You can eat the meat cold or prepare it in multiple ways; usually any way you would use cooked ham.  I like having meat on hand that doesn't need to be thawed before using.
We walked this morning, and then came home and I produced our pantry meal in 15 minutes or so.  I opened a 12 ounce can of Aldi’s Brookdale luncheon meat and made this quick but favorite lunch.  I sliced the meat and used a third of it for lunch today and froze the remaining slices (separated to make them easy to thaw).
I browned the meat slices about 5 minutes.  While they were cooking, I made Quick Cheese Grits and cooked some peas.  We had fruit for dessert.  My husband says you forget how good it tastes when you don’t have it all the time.  I like knowing I don’t have to look for it when stores are both crowded and understocked.
Here are some of our favorite recipes for canned luncheon meat, and grits, of course.

7 comments:

  1. Love Spam! I have a can in my panty and wish I had more. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the hubby is making turkey ham hash browns right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always keep a couple of cans on hand and at the moment have half a dozen. It's just me so 1 can would do me 4 meals. I like the idea of that glazed spam - sounds lovely. I usually have it either heated up with fried eggs for breakfast or sliced up cold in a salad. I know its not the healthiest of foods but for now and again its hard to beat i!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the glazed spam was Myrna's family's favorite.

      Delete
  4. They love Spam in Hawaii. It's a comfort food that I have once every 5 years maybe. I'm overdue now, after reading your post. I did buy some, a month ago just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard it was well liked over there. My family liked it and still does, but just the original
      spam.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.