Saturday Thoughts... Dribs and Drabs

 

 I cleaned out my refrigerator today and decided I needed to use up all the dribs and drabs rather than toss them. I wanted to save a trip to the store and the cost as the shelves are so barren and groceries are getting higher every week.  I ended up with ingredients that I had bought for pizza and not used all up. 
Not wanting to make pizza I decided to make a stovetop casserole using GF elbow macaroni for the base and add the pizza ingredients to the cooked pasta.  
 While the macaroni cooked I chopped and slightly cooked three small pieces of celery, than added in some left over Pepperoni, sliced olives (green and black) a handful of cooked and frozen mushrooms. let these heat for a few minutes, added some pizza sauce from the freezer. By then the macaroni was done. After scooping it into the pan with the sauce and ingredients let it simmer for a few minutes and served with the last of some white cheddar cheese on top.
 With just one to eat meals, ingredients do tend to not always be used up and with the economy now days and people out of work all of us need to watch what we are tossing out. That one leftover apple will make a nice Crisp and the last of the cream can be used along with a dab of cream cheese for a nice sauce on Pastas of any kind. 
 Think creatively and see what you can do with what is in your fridge or cabinet. If you were going to toss it anyway what do you have to lose?

6 comments:

  1. You came up with a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, like you I have come up with some interesting leftovers that I must say have been quite good. I looked through all your recipes and found many I want to try. Thank you for all that work and for sharing. Have you considered a cooking for one or two category?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some on the blog look under small recipes. I am just cooking for one now days and Sue just cooks for two so we both are cooking way less than we used to. We also have some reviews of cookbooks for one or two under this heading. Hope this helps

      Delete
  3. Your hosta in the photo of the path to the garden is gorgeous! It does not do well in our heat and alkaline soi, but I love seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...you can see that hostas are one of my favorite plants; these are growing in the shade of a huge mulberry tree.
      When i was in high school in Texas, we had pecan and magnolia trees, as well as English ivy that wouldn't survive the winters here...every place has it's best native plants, I guess.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.