Cake Flour and Cake Flour Recipes


I’m not the cake baker that Myrna is, but we both keep cake flour in the freezer to make extra good cakes.  Swans Down or Softasilk cake flour from Pillsbury were the standard for cake flour in our mother’s era and are still available in the baking aisle, although my current package of cake flour is  American Beauty Hi-Ratio Cake Flour usually used in bakeries.  Bob’s Red Mill and King Arthur are a couple of other readily available brands of cake flour.  Cake flour is usually lower in gluten than all-purpose flour so your cakes are light and tender, not chewy.
You can check the flour company websites for cake flour recipes, as well as any older general cookbook.  
Our Mom’s closest friend, Milly, made a perfect chocolate marble cake with 7 minute frosting that she brought to many pot luck and picnic dinners.  I made sure I got my piece FIRST!


Below are some downloadable cake flour booklets you might enjoy.  You can download them free to keep.
 These booklets are from the era when a beautiful cake was many home cook’s signature. 

The Swans Down "Mix-Easy" Cake Book: Quick Cakes Perfected! 1944      (Download)
The Swans Down Cake Manual: A Handbook Of Cake Making 1929
    (Download)
Exciting New Quick Cakes: 5 New Swans Down "Mix-Easy" Recipes 1944  (A 5 recipe leaflet)    (Download)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely downloads. You are correct they are a beautiful example of era. I like to make cake from scratch and will use the SwansDown

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually buy cake flour since I don't make scratch cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I need cake flour, I always make my own instead of buying. By making my own, I can make as much as I want or mix up a batch just for what I need at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy looking at old cookbooks and flyers. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for these links. I usually have a variety of flours on hand, including cake flour, but at the moment all I can find in the shops is All Purpose. I will check each week and stock up when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for giving us these links. Very interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any hints about where the Swans Down Cake Manual might still be available? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I repaired the links for these cookbooks...other folks update their sites occasionally and links don't work.
      I have never seen these leaflets except online...the MSU Libraries Little Cookbooks collection is excellent and free. Try this link to look at their collection.
      Little Cookbooks

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.