Saturday Thoughts... Simpler Days

Top:  Sue's party, Bottom: Myrna's party, taken with our Mom's Brownie camera   
You can tell your age to some extent by the Birthday Parties you had growing up. Ours were always simple. The menu never varied, Potato Chips (which were a treat we didn’t have often), Hot Dogs, Baked Beans, and Birthday Cake and Ice Cream. 
 We got to invite 2 friends and as our older Sis and I had birthdays 4 days apart we often shared the party so she would have two friends also.  All of our birthdays were in June!
 We played one or two games and opened presents. They were always at your home and the one that sticks in my mind was of a close friend who’s Mom served Chocolate Waffles with Ice Cream on top and Chocolate Syrup instead of cake. We were teenagers who thought we were so grown up. I remember sitting on the floor playing Canasta for entertainment. 
  As we got older the choice became a small party or inviting one or two to the movies and popcorn or candy at the stand. Usually the afternoon Matinee because then you could have longer as they showed more than one feature. 
 I think we were happier or at least as happy as the kids of today are and our Parents did not have to stress if they were having a larger Party then the last one you attended or spend the money that type of party costs as all the kids had the same type of party and even the same menu. 

6 comments:

  1. My birthday pictures would look much like yours! We never went anywhere to celebrate, just played games and hung out at our house. But we all dressed up in "good" dresses and made a real party of it.

    Simpler times and, sad to say, better times. I think (the majority of) kids back in those days were definitely happier. Not an optimistic thing to say, I know. We had real personal relationships which all the technological devices have made hard to create and maintain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. Too many kids today are missing out on having the fun of a close friend/group of friends to just spend time with. No Phones!

      Delete
  2. I will be 56 next month. I can remember one big party when I was five with the neighborhood kids and another when I was about 12 with a few girls for a burger lunch at the local cafe. Otherwise it was cake and ice cream with immediate family only.....quite small as I'm an only child. Oh...and those two parties were grandmother drive....my mother isn't the type to bother lol. Oh course my grandmother HAD to purchase a professional cake for every birthday...they really didn't have the money but it was keeping up appearances....

    Nowadays its all about outdoing the neighbors...apparently my grandmother was the 60's version of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me glad our Mom had more since (or every one's Mom back than did.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.