Baking with Mixes...Buttermilk Waffle & Pancake Mix



  I really don’t do mixes often. Not enough storage room for one thing. One I do give space to is Pancake and waffle mix. When I saw this recipe in Sue’s  Make a Mix book I thought I would have to try it. 
  Well, I must report that it was very easy to make, very little fuss and we tried it for waffles and I will be making this again. I buy powdered buttermilk often so usually have it on hand. The rest of the ingredients are also items I have on hand, I think most households will have these items in their cupboards so this is easy to make.

Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix
2 cups dry buttermilk powder
8 cups all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
8 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir with a wire whisk (I used my hands at the end to make sure it was all mixed) until evenly distributed. Pour into a 12 cup container with a tight fitting lid. Label and store in a cool dry place. Use within 6 months. Makes about 10 ½ cups of mix.
Here is their recipe for waffles. Scroll down for Pancake Recipe. 
Waffles
2 ½ cups buttermilk waffle mix
2 cups water (remember the milk is in the mix)
3 eggs separated
¼ cup vegetable oil
 Preheat waffle baker. In a large bowl combine mix, water, egg yolks and oil. Beat with a wire whisk until just blended. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff*. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Bake according to your waffle baker instructions. Makes 3 to 4 large waffles. These must be made on a very large waffle iron. 
  Half of this amount made 4 waffles on my waffle iron. You can always stir up some more if you need it. I would go with the smaller amount unless you have a lot to feed.
  *I just beat the whole eggs together and added to mix. Worked fine. I am not going to dirty another bowl if I don’t have too.
  **To vary the waffles stir in ½ cup chopped pecans or dried or fresh blueberries into batter.
Buttermilk Pancakes
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons salad oil
1 cup water, more if desired
1 ½ cups Buttermilk pancake and waffle mix
In a medium bowl, combine egg, oil and 1 cup of water.  With a wire whisk, stir in pancake mix until blended.  Let stand 5 minutes.  If a thinner batter is desired, stir in more water.
Preheat griddle and lightly oil.  Pour about 1/3 cup batter on hot griddle to make 1 pancake.  Cook until edge is dry and bubbles form.  Turn with a wide spatula and cook 35 5o 45 seconds longer until browned.

Makes ten 4 inch pancakes.

4 comments:

  1. Neat. I'm not sure I've seen that dry buttermilk powder around here before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen a different brand, or just not any dried buttermilk? It is so hand to have on hand and not worry about it spoiling before it gets used up.

      Delete
  2. Makes for a great mix to give as a gift.
    Mix up dry ingredients, place in a jar and include the recipe and put in a gift box. I have even included a waffle iron & different flavored syrups to put in a gift basket. Makes for a great bridal shower gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for a great Idea for a shower gift, maybe a Housewarming gift.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.