Saturday Thoughts...Butter Deviled Eggs


 Myrna and I were talking about deviled eggs, and she said she remembered a recipe using butter instead of mayonnaise in her 1963 Good Housekeeping Cookbook.  What a great idea for someone who doesn’t keep commercial mayonnaise or Miracle Whip on hand and only wants to make 1 or 2 eggs!
She brought the cookbook along to our next coffee time, and I have been experimenting with it for a couple of weeks.
 We discussed using softened butter, but I found that didn’t work as well as melting the butter in a custard or measuring cup in the microwave (about 20 seconds, depending on how cold the butter was to start with).  
So here’s the recipe I came up with that my husband approved…you can start with less vinegar or mustard and add the rest if you think it needs all of it.   Don’t worry if it seems too wet at first, it sets up quickly.  I found out that I don’t want to make the filling and store it separately from the egg whites as it got too stiff in the fridge.  Now I simply make the filling just before the meal; it’s that quick and easy.   I usually make the 2 egg version.   
I do steam or cook my eggs the day before and chill them whole in a sandwich baggie in the refrigerator overnight.  The steamed eggs seem to peel much better and don't use as much water...I use a $5 steamer insert I bought at our supermarket.  It's adjustable for most size saucepans.

                Butter Deviled Eggs 

1 Egg
2 Eggs
6 Eggs
Ingredients
1 large
2 large
6 large
Eggs, hard cooked
2 tsp
4 tsp
3 Tbsp
Butter, melted
Dash
1/16 tsp
¼ tsp 
Salt
1/2 tsp
1 tsp
1 Tbsp
Mustard, prepared
1/2 tsp
1 tsp
1 Tbsp
Cider vinegar

Steam eggs 15 minutes, chill in ice water for 10 minutes.  Shell and cut into lengthwise halves.  Remove yolks to small bowl; set whites aside. 
Melt butter; let cool a little to room temperature.
Mash yolks with a fork until very fine and crumbly; blend in melted butter and remaining ingredients.  Add additional vinegar or mustard if too dry.
Generously refill hollows in whites with the yolk mixture, slightly rounding each.  (I sprinkled on a little smoked paprika).

  Idea from the "1963 Good Housekeeping Cookbook"

3 comments:

  1. Boy this sounds different! I think I'll add this to my list of things to try, it will be a nice variation for my deviled egg serious on the blog-thanks:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about deviled eggs....think I will try both ways, mayo & butter to see which I like...

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.