Saturday Thoughts... Small Appliances We Don't Have Anymore


I have always loved getting items for my kitchen as gifts and over the years have owned and used (or not) many kitchen appliances. 
 Sue and I were talking about the ones we both have had from large to small and some that we really liked you can no longer buy and I no longer have. 
One that both of us had and I had quite a few different models, was an electric can opener. I no longer use one as it takes up a lot of counter space and a lot of cans are now pop tops. The larger coffee cans would not fit under them either. Some of the later ones were taller instead of long but still large cans didn’t work well.
 Waffle irons came and went. Now I use my Breville counter top oven for toast and really don’t make waffles anymore. 
  We still like the regular waffles not the Belgian waffles in my small family. I did own both of the wafflers but now just buy a small package of frozen GF waffles. Not nearly as good!! 

 One appliance I have had over the years and used on a regular basis was an Electric Frying Pan.   My first one was a ToastMaster and at one point I had a square one and a long one. With teenagers in and out of our house the long one worked great. The older models had high domed lids and you could fit a roast or chicken in them and they came out tender without a lot of watching. I also had a few Presto fry pans (Not all at the same time) and really used the smaller one until I could no longer get parts for it. If it was still available I would surely buy another. It was the prefect size for two.

20 comments:

  1. I have several things I rarely use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, but the last few years I have been weeding out the ones I don't use, less clutter to clean around.

      Delete
  2. I still have a waffle iron - in the closet! And an electric skillet - also in closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you going to get them out and use them? LOL

      Delete
  3. I also have a small waffle iron and an electric skillet that has been used so seldom it is like brand new!
    I really should give the skillet away! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, been there, done that. It is hard for me to give a kitchen tool away, just have too sometimes.

      Delete
  4. I still have the waffle maker my in-laws gave me for Christmas one of the first years we were married so it must be 55+ years old. Guess they made them better then because I still use it although not as often anymore as pancakes seem easier! I also have one of the electric skillets with the big, domed cover but find it more inconvenient to haul out and use than putting something in the oven or in a big pan on the stove top. The main reason I keep it is to use when we have company and I make a dish my husband loves (Tagliarini) which I serve right from the table. I put the skillet on a low simmer and people help themselves right from the electric skillet. Probably just me but I think electric can openers are (were) the height of "un-neccesary!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have given all of my electric fry pans away now and yes, I have to agree with you on the electric can openers.

      Delete
  5. I got my mom's electric fry pan when I moved out on my own and used it for years (not quite sure what happened to it). I was talking about missing it recently and a friend mentioned that she had one that she never used so I am hoping to get that one some time in the future - it was a really handy appliance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about getting another but they no longer come with the nice domed lids.

      Delete
  6. I’ll take anyone’s electric can opener, lol. I still find it hard to find the pop up cans, sometimes SW has them but not always. A friend gave me this weird plastic thing that if you hold it the right way, it will catch on the lip of can..well my Engineer husband can do it but not me. Have a old Belgium waffle maker that is small and still use it. But that frying pan left a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cindy, I tried one of that type of can opener and had no luck using it either. I fine my hand held opener works just fine and takes up little room. Amazing how many of us had the electric ones and the waffle irons.

      Delete
  7. We still use our waffle iron - or rather, my husband still uses it. We still have an electric skillet that he refuses to part with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to have a husband that cooks, I would hang on to them if I were you. LOL

      Delete
    2. Ha Ha! Seriously, he is a keeper.

      Delete
  8. How long do comments usually take to appear, beginning to think it’s my iPad that is the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, it depends on when I check my email and the comment page. I do try to do it at least once a day but don't always get to them. Not your iPad.

      Delete
  9. I'm another one who has gotten rid of an electric can opener! I have an electric skillet and love it... it has the ceramic coating, which I like better than regular non-stick. It stains a bit, but has otherwise proven durable. I was looking up my skillet (which comes in both a rectangle and a smaller square) and I came across another Presto product which I think could be the high domed skillet you are looking for. It comes in both an 11" and 16" version.

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-11-inch-Electric-Skillet/5969530


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dyonia, Thanks for the link, yes that is the Presto I was talking about. Of all that I have had I think the Presto are the best. Thanks again.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.