Small Recipes...Crunchy Macaroni Salad


Here’s a simple recipe my husband especially likes from the Taste of Home Cooking for One or Two.  He thinks this salad tastes very close to his favorite salad bar salad, which as a slightly sweet dressing.  
I used commercial mayonnaise instead of Miracle Whip, so I added an extra teaspoon of sugar to suit his taste.   For easy peeling, steam your eggs 15 minutes; then plunge into ice water for 10 minutes before peeling.  I cook an extra egg for garnish and add the ends (chopped up) to the salad.  I can see adding a little shredded carrot, peas, diced ham or cheese, or bacon or cooked chicken or whatever you like in your macaroni salad.
This is such an easy recipe I’ll be making it more often.  We enjoyed it with one of the last summer tomatoes and some smoked brats yesterday.

Crunchy Macaroni Salad                    

  1          cup  cooked elbow macaroni -- 2 ounces dry
  1          large  egg -- hard cooked, chopped
  2           tablespoons  chopped celery
  2           tablespoons  chopped onion
  3           tablespoons  Miracle Whip
  1 -2      teaspoons  sugar
  1           teaspoon  cider vinegar
     ½       teaspoon  prepared mustard
     ¼       teaspoon  salt
  1          Pinch  pepper
Hard cook egg; prepare macaroni following label directions.  Drain and cool.  Peel egg. 
In a bowl, combine the macaroni, egg, celery and onion. In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over macaroni mixture and toss gently. Cover and chill for 2 hours before serving.
 Serves 2.

3 comments:

  1. I like this one. I love macaroni salad and my husband won't eat it. So I seldom make it for just me. I like all the stuff in this one and it's a small enough recipe that I can eat it by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's versatile too...you can add whatever sounds good that you want to use up. Make it a main dish salad by adding bacon, ham, cooked chicken or tuna or cheese.

      Delete
  2. I have been looking for a recipe for macaroni salad like this one and I am excited to make it today!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.