Steamed Eggs

 I have been steaming, yes steaming, my hard boiled eggs lately. I must say that I won’t ever go back to cooking them in water again. The steaming leaves them with no nasty green ring, done just right and the shells slide right off. The first two times I tried it I used eggs that were not as fresh and then I tried it with eggs I bought the day they came into the store. Now I don’t know how it works with farm fresh eggs as I no longer get them but with the fresh store eggs it still worked like a dream. Also they don’t crack  as they sometimes do when put into hot water so that some of the egg white seeps out. I bought a cheap metal basket steamer to use for this. They expand to fit the size of the pan you are using.
 This is a set of directions not a recipe and I sure would like to encourage everyone who hard cooks eggs to give it a try for themselves.
Steamed Eggs
 In pan have enough water so it will just reach the bottom of your steamer basket.
Remove steamer basket and heat water to boiling. Place eggs in steamer basket and put in the pan of hot water. Cover pan and turn heat down so water is just simmering.
 Let steam for 18 to 20 minutes. (I have done both times) 
Remove from pan and place eggs in ice water. A bowl of cold tap water with a few ice cubes in it works fine. Let set for about ten to fifteen minutes and roll egg in your hand or on counter. 
Crack egg on the top and the shell should just slide off or come off in one strip.


Use eggs or store covered in refrigerator which is what I do as we like cold hard boiled eggs eaten out of hand for a snack.

11 comments:

  1. Myrna is absolutely right about steaming eggs...I put ice in the water to let the eggs cool in...but I always have, and the shells still didn't come off as easily as they do with this method. My little steamer insert cost about $10 at the grocery store. I only steam mine 16 minutes and they are still perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hope you do and that you like doing them this way.

      Delete
  3. My younger cousin told me about steaming eggs. I tried it and will never go back. It is amazing how easily they peel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the method. I thinkthe peeling is amazing also.

      Delete
  4. My old method didn't give me green rings, but I lost so much white to the peeling. As it happens, I needed eggs today for English Pea Salad so I followed your method. 18 minutes and they peeled like a dream! I am a convert!
    Tip: when they are done just take the pot to the sink and fill with cold water, empty, fill again til eggs are covered, and add your ice cubes. I am lazy and won't dirty a dish if I don't have to... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been steaming for years. It works like a charm every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, I just heard about doing it that way this year.

      Delete
  6. One of my hardboiled eggs had the dreaded green ring. It still peeled like a boss, though. Next time I will use Sue's 16 minute steaming time and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to try this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, hope you do and it works for you. I did some this week for salads.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.