Saturday Thoughts...Longing for a Hoosier cabinet...


Myrna and I were talking about Hoosier cabinets…I’ve always admired them; they were built and sold to ladies who actually baked from scratch!  The ads for them mention that they were scientifically designed…for step-saving and ergonomics.  Everything you really needed to bake was right in front of you.


I loved the flour bins, a sugar jar, and the other accessories you could buy.  What I really love is the pull-out large sanitary enameled work surface…you could roll out your cookies, knead your bread, make pie crust right on that surface!  And all the accessories that were available!

Our Mom and Grandmother didn’t have Hoosier cabinets because they were married to men in the construction and home building business and they had built-in cabinets…but with things like flour and sugar bins, pull-out bread boards and counters that were custom height. 
If you look around kitchens today, they are not really convenient.  Whenever I move to a new kitchen…and because my husband was in the military for some time and we have moved around since he got out, I have done that more than I like, I try to set it up as conveniently as possible, with a baking center, dishes between the sink and table, pots and utensils by the stove, etc. I keep those Hoosier cabinets in mind when I set up my baking area, and I use the inside upper doors for my most used recipes, and other useful information.

5 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be fun to have one of those!? And how beautifully you could arrange everything!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ya girl when it comes to Hoosier Cabinet. Whenever my husband and I go to antique stores I find myself drooling over one. My problem is having space to put one. I have honestly thought of removing some of my cabinets and counter space to replace it with a Hoosier cabinet. Ah my heart. I have to admit my ignorance though. I didn't know they had so many accessories! Now I really want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so neat. I've seen a few, but they have not had a lot of the things showing in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family from Red Oak, bought a Sellars kitchen queen in Walnut and brought it home to my kitchen in the Northwest for memories of home. Makes me smile whenever I walk in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love one, too. Alas, they weren't sold in my country - the cabinets we had here didn't have all the special features but were more plain - and as I am baking without gluten, I actually have nearly a dozen different kinds of flours instead of just wheat, so I need much more cabinet space.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.