Gluten Free Pumpkin Custard



The Gluten Free Made Simple cookbook has many good simple recipes of which today’s is a good example. 
 Pie crust is not a thing any gluten free eaters can have and this recipe for pumpkin custard fills the bill nicely.
  It has a great flavor and texture. The only problem I had with it was that it took longer to bake than the time listed. I might not have had my oven quite hot enough and I did put all the ramekins on a rimmed cookie sheet to make sure they were easy to remove from the oven. The longer baking time didn’t hurt the taste at all, so I would just bake until a cold table knife inserted halfway between rim and center comes out clean.
  I did add a dash of allspice, cloves, and nutmeg as we like it better with these spices added. I will list them as optional in the ingredients. I used some crystalized ginger I had on hand for a garnish on the whipped cream. A good recipe from a good cookbook

Pumpkin Custard
Ingredients
2 large eggs
½ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon each of allspice, nutmeg and cloves (Optional)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 15 oz. Can pumpkin
5 oz. Evaporated milk
Whipped cream and crystallized ginger for garnish (Optional)
Directions
  Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease eight 1 cup ramekins. In a large bowl combine eggs, sugar, spices and salt. Stir in pumpkin and evaporated milk.
  Pour into the greased dishes . Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until centers are set.

Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. When ready to eat, garnish with whipped cream and the crystallized ginger. Keep any remaining refrigerated.

2 comments:

  1. I like this. I'm weird. I don't like pie crust with my pie. This sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend and her and her daughter don't like pie crust either. She loves this recipe. I like it when I want pumpkin pie and don't want to fuss with pie crust.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.