Saturday Thoughts...Mustard Potato Hotdogs


 Another quick and easy recipe for one which is easily added on to for more. This recipe is easy enough that children can make their own with a little help from an adult depending on their age. The recipe is from Betty Crocker’s Cooking for One cookbook published July 1980. I saw it on Thrift Books web site and a newer edition on Amazon which I have not used.
 I used Johnsonville Smoked Brats as they are gluten free and I had them on hand. I always have instant potatoes and cheese so this was quick and easy and just enough different to try it. I did feel that the mustard was a little more than I would have used but if you like mustard it is not over powering. Next time I am going to leave the mustard out and put some Sauerkraut on the brats and then the potatoes. You could dress them up any you like.
 If you are using a smoked sausage and your Microwave I would recommend taking them out of the fridge a little early so they get hot all the way through. Hot dogs are not as dense but still might be better warmed to room temp. My cheese melted before I felt the brat was hot enough to suit me.
Mustard Potato Franks 
Mustard Potatoes below
cup water
2 hot dogs or smoked sausage
1 Tablespoon shredded cheese
For mustard potatoes
1 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon butter
teaspoon salt
cup instant mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon parsley flakes (optional)
½ teaspoon prepared Mustard
 Microwave water, mild butter and salt in a one pint microwaveable measuring cut on high power for 1 ½ to 2 minutes Stir in remaining ingredients. 
Prepare the potatoes. Split hot dogs lengthwise not cutting all the way through. Flatten (like an open book) and place on microwave safe plate cut sides up. Spread with mashed potatoes and top with shredded cheese Microwave uncovered on high for one to two minutes until cheese melts and hot dog is hot.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a mashed potato fan but I have put pre baked French fries on top of hot dogs along with chili over the top and then topped off with cheese and put in oven till the cheese is hot and bubbly. (Chili Fries with hot dog on the bottom.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a few folks who eat their fries with the chili over them. I do like chili dogs ut never tried the two together.

      Delete
  2. We ordered some organic instant potatoes for a specific recipe and ended up with more than we needed. This sounds good and quick! Thakns for the tip to let the meat come to room temp so it will heat properly - and we like your idea to use sauerkraut! Thanks Myrna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we could help. I think the sauerkraut should be really good with this.

      Delete
  3. Kids would probably like that.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.