Baking with Brown Sugar...Sour Cream Apple Squares


I would give this recipe a 5 Star rating!  It’s easy, looks great, and is delicious.  From an Indiana cookbook published in "Best of the Best of the Midwest" I thought, just reading the recipe, that it was worth a try…it exceeded my expectations.  It has a crisp, thin bottom crust, topped by a very moist apple cake.  Anything that only uses one large bowl and a spoon to mix is my kind of recipe.  It was good from the oven, just cooled to lukewarm; and it froze well too.  I got twice as many bars as the recipe called for; they are rich enough for smaller, easier-to-eat bars.  I used Granny Smith apples, and drizzled on a little powdered sugar glaze.  New crop apples were on sale this week!
 Sour Cream Apple Squares
  2          Cups  Flour, All-purpose (9 ounces)
  2          Cups  Brown Sugar -- firmly packed  (14 ounces)
     ½      Cup  Butter -- softened
  1          Cup  Walnuts -- chopped
  2          Teaspoons  Cinnamon
  1          Teaspoon  Baking Soda
     ½      Teaspoon  Salt
  1          Cup  Sour Cream
  1          Teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
  1          Large  Egg
  2          Cups  Apples -- peeled and finely chopped (2 medium)

Preheat oven to 350°.  In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and butter until crumbly.  Stir in nuts.  Press 2 3/4 cups (about 15 ounces) of crumb mixture into ungreased 9 x 13" pan.
To remaining mixture, add cinnamon, baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla, and egg.  Blend well.  Stir in apples.  Spoon evenly and carefully over base.
Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.  Cut into 12-15 squares - I got 30.     "One 9 X 13" Pan"

7 comments:

  1. I don't have any apples in the house, but I do have a bunch of Japanese Persimmons that I froze.
    Gonna pull a package our right now and make this today.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this, but cut the recipe in half. Used 1 very small eggs from my hens. I did add extra nuts because we like them. And, then I substituted my persimmons for apples. I had to bake it longer, because I put it in one of those 8x8 pans. About 45 minutes. It turned out really good. I would add a little white sugar next time because my hubby likes a sweeter dessert.

      Delete
    2. Glad you tried this...and glad to hear how it turned out!

      Delete
  2. Looks fantastic and have a brownie pan & mini loaf pans that I can bake these in.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. Now I just need to get some apple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a yummy looking recipe! I'll be making a copy, especially with all the Fall apples, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These bars are gorgeous!!! This is a must make recipe!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.