Small Recipes...Maple Sausage Skillet




This is a recipe from Down Home Cooking for One or Two that was a hit at our house.  Simple and delicious, I had it on the table in 15 minutes.  
I did modify the recipe for a smaller amount and to use what I normally keep on hand.
I used cooked rice that I batch cook in our Instant Pot and freeze in 1 cup packages just for recipes like this, and I used Johnsonville Smoked Brats that I usually have in the freezer.  (Not a paid advertisement!)  The original recipe called for kielbasa.  I’ve found that any cooked link sausage works just fine, I have used Lil Smokies and maple breakfast sausages too, whatever I have that was on sale.
The maple syrup is the easiest stir-fry sauce I’ve ever used, and it added just the right touch of sweetness.   My husband thinks this should be added to our “Everyday” cookbook, and I agree.                

            Maple Sausage Skillet  
  1          teaspoon  canola oil
     1/4    pound  precooked smoked bratwurst -- sliced
     3/4    cup  sliced fresh mushrooms
     1/2    medium  green pepper -- thinly sliced
     1/2    small  onion -- halved and sliced
     1/2    celery rib -- sliced
  1          tablespoon  maple syrup
     1/8    teaspoon  pepper
  1          cup  hot cooked rice
Prepare rice or reheat frozen homemade cooked rice.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add vegetables; cook and stir 3-4 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in syrup and pepper; heat through. Serve with rice or stir the rice right into the stir fry like I do.
Makes 2 servings"

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I imagine it smell great as you are cooking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maple syrup as a sauce for stir fry - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.