Small Recipes with Homemade Biscuit Mix... Easy Cheeseburger Pie for Two

Clockwise, top right:  Hamburger and cheese in casserole, canned hamburger mix, ready for the oven, ready for lunch     

I may be the only 70’s mom who didn’t make this casserole…but I guess it’s never too late.  When I was looking through my Betty Crocker’s Timesaving Cookbook 1982  I found this recipe that used two of my favorite timesavers…hamburger mix and homemade biscuit mix.  I cut it down to 2 servings and baked it in my Le Creuset 4 x 6” casserole dish.  It fit perfectly.  My Le Creuset 5 x 5” pan should work too.
I was pleased that the downsized recipe turned out OK the first time.  If you don’t have the hamburger mix use 4 ounces of ground beef and cook it to use.  I put the Betty Crocker freezer mix recipe at the bottom; I actually used my home canned hamburger mix.  The hardest part about this quick version is waiting for it to bake.    
We had it with mixed vegetables (the ends of several different kinds) and home canned peaches for dessert…how 70’s or 80’s is that?                
                  Easy Cheeseburger Pie for 2  
  1              cup  hamburger mix - half pint, drained
  1 1/3       ounces  cheddar cheese, shredded
     1/2       cup  milk
     1/4       cup  homemade Biscuit Mix -- about 1 1/4 ounce (or Bisquick)        
  1              large  egg
 Heat oven to 400° (375° in a toaster oven).  Spread hamburger mix in lightly greased 4 x 6" or 5 x 5" shallow casserole; sprinkle with cheese.
Beat remaining ingredients with hand beater until smooth.  Pour over cheese.
Bake until brown and knife in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Freezer Ground Beef Mix:
3 pounds ground beef
2 cups chopped onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons salt
Cook and stir all ingredients in a 4 quart Dutch oven until beef is browned; drain.
Spread in a half sheet pan or rimmed cookie sheet.  Freeze uncovered 1 hour.
Divide beef mixture into containers; cover, freeze and label and freeze.
Makes about 9 cups.

Martha White Biscuit Mix
                        1 QUART MIX
  1           pound self-rising flour -- sift first (4 cups)
  4          ounces  lard or shortening -- 1/2 cup
Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender or food processor until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature (If using shortening).  Refrigerate if using lard.
Mix will keep well up to 4 months on the shelf if using shortening or in the refrigerator if using lard. 
Recipe weighs 20 ounces; 1 cup recipe weighs 5 ounces.                                
                  




3 comments:

  1. I hear you about grocery prices. We have to employ "Grandma" tactics...cook at home, buy basics and don't waste anything. Hate to say it, but that's probably better for our waistlines. If you look at depression and WW2 photos, no one was fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant find self rising flour. I'll have to make my own and cross my fingers!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.