Cashew Tuna Luncheon

  This recipe from the Farm Journal Country Cookbook really takes me back to the early sixties. This was a favorite luncheon dish at many Ladies Luncheons and Church suppers. My family still enjoys it and while I can no longer eat it, I do fix it for them. 
  I use Kirkland canned tuna, from Costco. This is water packed white tuna and the best of all the canned tuna’s we have tried. The original of course used oil packed tuna which is not readily available anymore. I usually buy chow mein noodles in the cello bag as they are crisper than the canned ones. One in a while I have found the noodles made of rice instead of wheat and then I can eat this also. 
  With a vegetable and fresh dinner rolls, you will have a simple to get together meal with not much time spent cooking.
Cashew Tuna Luncheon
1 (3 oz can) chow mein noodles
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
¼ cup water
1 (7 ounce) can chunk style tune
¼ pound cashew nuts, salted or unsalted
1 cup finely diced celery
1 Tablespoon chopped green pepper
¼ cup minced onion
⅛ teaspoon salt (if nuts are unsalted)
⅛ teaspoon pepper
 Combine all the ingredients in a 1 ½ cup casserole, saving our ½ cup chow mein noodles. Sprinkle reserved noodles over the top.
  Bake uncovered in slow oven (325°) for 40 minutes. Makes 5 servings

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so very delicious. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I do hope I can find the noodles here in The Netherlands.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.