Who can find a worthy woman? For her price is far above rubies.......She looks well to the ways of her household. Proverbs 31:10-27
We're sisters who like to cook and bake, talk cooking and baking, and share recipes and kitchen wisdom.

Making Bread in Your Food Processor

I love doing extra-fast food processor yeast breads and rolls, and want to share with you some ideas for bread making from the Cuisinart’s newsletters
  • You can make yeast dough in any full-size Cuisinart food processor.  In the compact models, you can knead dough for a 15” pizza crust.           
  • Use the dough blade when following a recipe that calls for more than 3 ½ cups (17 ½ oz.) of all-purpose or bread flour.  The plastic blade thoroughly kneads yeast dough using over 3 ½ cups of flour.
  • Use the metal blade when using a bread recipe that calls for less than 3 ½ cups of flour.      
  • Weighed flour with salt, sugar, yeast and butter added
  • The standard ratio of flour to water is 1 cup flour to 1/3 cup water in a basic white bread recipe.  Adding eggs or other liquids alters that ratio.       
  • When I measure in my dry ingredients on top of my weighed flour, I space them around the top of the processor, so I can keep track of how many measuring spoonful’s I’ve added.  For consistently good results, weigh the flour.  Also, weighing flour is faster than using the “scoop and sweep” method.  
  • If you use dry measuring cups for flour, for these recipes, stir the flour first to aerate it.  Scoop up a heaping cupful and sweep across the top with a knife to level the flour.
  • If recipes are written for the “scoop and sweep method”, they give these weight comparisons.
  • Per Cup
    Weight
    All-purpose flour
    5 ounces
    Bread flour
    5 ounces
    Whole wheat flour
    4 ounces
    Rye, light
    3 ½ ounces
    Rye, medium
    3 ounces
    Rye, dark
    4 ½ ounces

  • Dough cleaning the sides of the workbowl
  • The processor mixes and kneads your dough so fast that a stopwatch is useful to get your timing right.  When we’re talking seconds – it works better than a timer.
  • Use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature of the liquids you add to your yeast dough.
  • When adding liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients in the work bowl, add them while the machine is running, in a slow, steady stream, only as fast as the flour absorbs it.
  • How do you know if you have the right balance of flour to water?  The dough will mass into a ball and virtually clean the sides of the work bowl.  When this happens, the dough is not too dry or too wet.
  • Risen dough ready to shape
  • Typical bread dough, when properly kneaded, should have a soft, pliable texture.  If it feels tough, process until it is properly kneaded, about 30 seconds longer.
  • I let it dough rise right in the covered work bowl to save time and cleanup.  After the first rise, shape the dough as you wish.
  • Check the book that came with your food processor to see if your machine is large enough for your recipe.  The recipes we will be giving are for a standard or Classic size processor, and will work fine in a larger one too.
  • If you don't have a food processor, all of the bread or roll recipes next week can be made on the dough cycle of a bread machine and then shaped for the last rise, or in your stand mixer or by hand, for that matter.   I have made them by all of those methods, depending on the equipment I have had access to.
  • My personal favorite for a bread food processor is the plain Jane 14 cup Cuisinart; I have gone back to one after trying the more deluxe model that just didn't cut it for me.
  • I'm a firm believer that the best bread is made in a kitchen where bread is made often - where a little natural yeast spores are in the air from regular bread making.  These food-processor breads are so quick and easy you'll wonder why you would ever buy bread. 
  • Try some of our recipes for yeast bread and rolls made in the food processor here.

5 comments:

  1. I thought this was such an interesting as well as informative post!! Thanks for another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of any tool that helps make preparing fresh homemade food easier and more enjoyable. I am a bosch user myself but look forward to exploring your sire further. Really interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read before that weighing the flour is better. What do you use to weigh it with? My kitchen scale would be too small I think? Is there a special kind? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a regular digital kitchen scale - one I've had for years...check out this post on weighing with some standard weights of foods.
      I am really an advocate for weighing ingredients from my time working in food service operations.

      http://iowasue.blogspot.com/2010/03/weighing-ingredients-for-recipes.html

      Here is a good video on weighing food:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BEadsFfr2s&feature=related

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much. I'm going to try this on the weekend. I had lost my user's guide, so was pleased to find this information.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.