Macaroni Sauté

I've made this recipe since I was a new bride – nobody said every recipe we post has to be “new”.  I still make it, and we still like it. 
                        Macaroni Sauté
  8         Ounces  Shell or Elbow Pasta -- small, (1 ½  cups dry)
     ½     Cup  onion -- chopped
     ½     Cup  green pepper -- chopped
  1         teaspoon  garlic -- minced
     ½     Cup olive oil -- or salad oil  (I use about ¼ cup)
 4         Cups  tomatoes, canned -- or 3 cups tomato juice
  1         Teaspoon  salt
  2         Teaspoons  Worcestershire sauce
Sauté macaroni and vegetables in oil or until macaroni turns slightly yellow..  Add tomatoes or juice and seasonings; bring to boiling, Cover and simmer 15  to 20 minutes.
8 servings
Serve with green vegetable or salad and custard or milk dessert for protein.
Cost 2012:  $2.54  or 32¢ per serving if you have a garden pepper like I did.
  "Betty Crocker Good and Easy"
Per Serving: 142 Calories; 1g Fat (9.1% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 446mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


"Goulash - with ground beef"
I also use this recipe for what my husband’s family calls goulash – I brown a pound of hamburger and don't use the olive oil and then add the remaining ingredients, following the recipe directions otherwise.  I use lean ground beef, but before you add the tomatoes or juice, drain off excess fat, if any.  If the macaroni gets dry, I add more tomato or V-8 juice.           

4 comments:

  1. I have been making this recipe for over 30 years and we call it BBQ Macaroni. A little extra Worcester sauce and tomato juice instead of tomatoes.
    It is perfect room temp and I always have someone ask me for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the tomato juice version too...my husband votes for the tomatoes instead...of course he gets what he wants! But it is a good, simple recipe.

      Delete
  2. This is the first dish I ever learned to cook. in home ec class about 1968. Haven’t made it in years. Glad to have the recipe again. ( using tomato juice)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My adult son likes this recipe so much he cooks it for his family - he spent a lot of time in the kitchen with me as a teen. He says sautéing the macaroni is the secret of it's goodness.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.